Friday, March 30, 2012

Blog Post 9

Mr. Joe McClung's Reflections

Mr. McClung chose to start writing reflections each year explaining what he had learned the year before. He explains certain tactics he used and what worked and what didn't. In the future, this would be a great resource for any teacher in any part of the country and because of technology, reading his experiences is possible anywhere. Now teachers can collaborate and create a better learning experience for the student.

After reading his first reflection, I realized that I could really relate to him because I, like him, like things to be a certain way. I could see myself making the "perfect" lesson and getting frustrated when things don't go as planned, much like he did. This really opened up my eyes to think about the way it will be when I am actually placed in front of my own class with my own students. We all are forever learners and I think that writing a blog of what you learn each year is an excellent way to not only share your experience with others to possibly help them, but learn from the mistakes you made yourself and provide the best learning experience possible for your students. He also talks about listening to your students and making them feel like they matter. I remember in high school I felt like the teachers thought I was really stupid and they knew it all and I hated that. That is one of the reasons I want to become an educator. To show students that each and every one of them is special and they have something to offer the world. The student needs to feel like the teacher is listening to them in order for them to respect the teacher. I think that if the student feels cared about, then they will be more apt to listen to what the teacher is saying and become engaged in the classroom.

Next, I read his last reflection. First he starts by saying that several things have changed for him this year including taking on several new responsibilities. He says that instead of focusing on pleasing other teachers/adults, we need to make sure that we keep the students our #1 priority. In the modern day world, there are distractions everywhere and it is very easy for us to get caught up in our own lives and forget about the reason why we became educators. When we step inside the classroom, everything else should disappear. Just like Rafe Esquith says, make the classroom an escape and safe haven for the students so that they can have the best learning experience possible. This is what I want to strive for as a teacher. Of course I will make mistakes and of course I will learn from them. I plan on keeping a blog just like Mr. McClung so I, too, can reflect back on what I have learned and continue to get better and better each year.

One thing I really liked that he said was to let the students do the work even though it is easier for us to take over and do it for them if they are struggling. This can be applied to any job, or any learning experience and it is absolutely true. Even today, when I am trying to learn something new at my current job, I tell my boss, let me do it and tell me what to do step by step otherwise I won't remember it. That is the best way to learn. Having the students do things for themselves may create struggles for them in the beginning but will definitely be worth it in the long run.



Overall, I believe that in order to be a successful educator, one must be passionate about teaching others. We must strive to see the understanding in the child's eyes and strive to create an outstanding learning environment for each and every student. We also must be able to include up to date technology with our lessons so we can better prepare our students for the future. This means we must constantly be learning and trying to improve each year, much like Mr. McClung. Thank you Mr. McClung, and yes, I believe this is an achievable goal.

reaching your goal

2 comments:

  1. Teacher reflections are definitely a great resource for other teachers to learn from. I strongly agree with what you've highlighted, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!
    I laughed when you said you could see yourself getting frustrated, if you couldn't make the perfect lesson, because I'm the same way. I enjoyed reading his blog and I see you and I share some of the same views. Your post was very well-written and clear. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete